Tuesday, November 19, 2013

make // a 50th birthday quilt

I had known for a while that I wanted to do something special for my cousin's 50th birthday.  Once she started talking about finishing her basement and making it Ohio State, I knew the perfect thing...a Buckeye quilt.  I cut the material out on a couple snow days this winter, sewed the top together in June, basted in September, finally started quilting in October and got the binding on a few days before her birthday.  For the top, I used various prints in red, gray and black (mostly from Fabric.com). I have made two other Ohio State quilts and some of the material makes an appearance in all three quilts, which I think is a nice touch (the other two belong to my cousin's mom & aunt). 

Unfortunately, this is the only picture I snapped before wrapping it up.  The back is solid black and I made the binding out of the same material to match.  I machine stitch my binding on.  You can find the instructions to make this quilt here: Cluck Cluck Sew: Hunky Dory Baby Top.  Since it is a baby top, I obviously constructed more squares.  I ended up with a quilt that was almost full-sized.  Perfect for snuggling up in.

No comments:

Post a Comment