Friday, February 17, 2012

Lord, I Lift Your Name on High


This praise song was in my head one morning last week as I got ready for work. It got me thinking about the scripture behind this chorus. So I looked some up.  Sometimes I think we just get used to the words and don’t think about what they are really saying.

Lord, I lift your name on high
Hallelujah! You who serve God, praise God! Just to speak his name is praise!  - Psalm 113:1-3
Lord, I love to sing your praises
Come, let's shout praises to God, raise the roof for the Rock who saved us! Let's march into his presence singing praises, lifting the rafters with our hymns!  - Psalm 95:1-3
I'm so glad you are in my life
The God who has been my shepherd all my life long to this very day… - Genesis 48:11
I'm so glad you came to save us.
But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. – Titus 3:4-7
You came from heaven to earth, to show the way
I came down from heaven not to follow my own whim but to accomplish the will of the One who sent me. – John 6:36
 
From the earth to the cross, my debt to pay
Because of the sacrifice of the Messiah, his blood poured out on the altar of the Cross, we're a free people—free of penalties and punishments chalked up by all our misdeeds. And not just barely free, either. Abundantly free! He thought of everything, provided for everything we could possibly need, letting us in on the plans he took such delight in making. He set it all out before us in Christ, a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth. – Ephesians 1:7-10
From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky
After his death, he presented himself alive to them in many different settings over a period of forty days. In face-to-face meetings, he talked to them about things concerning the kingdom of God…As they watched, he was taken up and disappeared in a cloud. They stood there, staring into the empty sky. – Acts 1
Lord I lift your name on high.
I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. – Psalm 63:4

No comments:

Post a Comment